Monday, August 30, 2010

Guard Up

Hey everybody. I pray that everyone's week has started off right. If not, keep persevering and obeying the Word of God. It's gonna be all right. Tonight's post is all about defense. After all, defense wins championships, right? Put up the #1 offense against the #1 defense and the majority of the time, defense wins.
With that said, one of my favorite football players is Ray Lewis. Talk about a defensive mind. It's like he knows what the offense is planning before the offense knows. Not much of a Ravens fan, but I'll rock Ray's jersey anytime. So, what's the metaphor? Why do we need to guard up? And from whom? You guessed it....nosy church folk.
Here's something to ponder. Why are some nosy church folk—who love dippin' into other folks' business—the first ones to fight when someone dips into theirs? Pause. Think about that. They're 38 Hot. Haymakers and F-bombs, know what I mean? Not church folk? Really? Yes, really. Something to think about, right?
Now I'll be the first to admit. The mind is inquisitive. It's always looking for information. And if we're not careful, we'll salivate when busybodies start dramatizing something juicy. I know I would. I NEED GOD to keep me straight, or I'd be just as nosy as anyone else. We need to let the Holy Spirit's influence kick in when our ears prick up to a story we have no business hearing. Gotta Guard Up. Common sense should tell us that if we fill our minds with junk, then junk is coming out. And believe me, nosy church folk have a lot of garbage at their disposal. That's all they dig for. Trash!!
So, we need to guard up in at least two ways. 1) Don't let your spirit be someone else's garbage can. The ole cliche says, "If a dog will bring a bone...then he'll carry one." If nosy church folk are quick to tell us something about someone else, they are just as quick to tell others what they know about us. And you KNOW that's right. 2) Keep folk out of YOUR business. Don't feel bad when you wish to keep your private affairs private. Your affairs are no one else's business. Nosy church folk won't cause me to lose sleep, no matter how mad they get with me. They're mad and I ain't sorry.
Test case. Nosy church folk are so obvious it's funny. Ever heard this: "I was just in the neighborhood, decided to stop by" Now, you live WAY out the way, in the sticks somewhere, a place that'll fry up your GPS, but they're just in the neighborhood? Come on! Nah...they were looking for you. I've seen it done. Or in my case, when Sandra and I first got engaged, church members took a ride down to the Hue City (i.e. ship where I was stationed in the Navy) to find out more about me. Concern? Negative. It was nosiness...plain and simple.
I'm very careful about who I let in. And you should be careful too. Before you know it, those nosy churchgoers will spread your business in the church, in the workplace, in the beauty shop and in the streets. I encourage you to be more discreet. Guard Up and shut em down.
Remember...DEFENSE wins championships.
Blessings
Stay tuned and stay prayerful
Your brother,
Sid




5 comments:

  1. Wow! Tell us how you really feel. Unfortunately, you are so right. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about trying to help my brothers and sisters. Glad you like it, Carmen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is most definitely the truth. Its part of the reason why I'm wary of finding a church home right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. To anonymous...I know how you feel. Just know there is NO perfect church. Problems in everyone you attend. Don't give up. God has the right place and the right church family for you. Persevere. I am developing curriculum and other materials to help those like yourself to better interact with churchgoers. Keep praying and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're are right ...100 percent correct! This nosiness turns me off to going to church, but I miss the study of the Word. So, I am in the process of visiting other churches...lol...I have decided , that a church for me is the right one when the church people don't ask me for a resume or social security number at the door...lol...lol...if you know what I mean. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete