Monday, August 23, 2010

The Cunning Approach - Part II

One of my favorite preachers is John Piper, who heads a ministry called Desiring God out of Minneapolis. Something I heard him say about "flattery" just stuck with me. Nothing all that deep, but it "stuck" with me. Don't remember the phraseology verbatim, but it went something like this. "When someone flatters you, they're trying to take something from you." Like I said, not all that deep, but something worth pondering over. We're not talking about a compliment here, we're talking about excessive praise motivated by self-interest. The culprits are sychophants, plain and simple, no other way to explain them.

My sisters, be on high alert for churchgoing sycophant brothers. "Did he just say...?" Yeah, I said it and I meant it. They're in church and they're on the prowl. As I stated in a previous blog, not everyone is serious about God. Watch the flatterers and pay VERY close attention to the brothers always quoting the Scripture. Most of the time, it's out of context. Many of them are trying to impress you. Now, there's nothing wrong with sincere compliments, really, but discernment needs to kick in high gear to distinguish whether it's delightful or disastrous.

Cunning. Smooth. He might be trying to take something from you!

Some figure they can get away with it, because they're not that many men in church, unfortunately. So, some of them see you—my sisters—as a buffet. I've heard them talk. Felt like hitting a couple of them. For real. I am serious about Christ and I have a burning hatred for fakery. Am I perfect? No! Far from it. But one thing I can't stand...Cunning Approaches.

That's the negative, but what's the positive? A friend of mine rebuked me today concerning my blog, and it was a healthy one. She wanted to make sure I wasn't just dwelling on the negative things happening in church. She was right. So, what's the positive? There are true brothers in the church who are honestly seeking the Lord. And I applaud them. Not all church brothers are dangerous sycophants. Praise God for that.

Hope you've been blessed and informed. More to come....

Stay tuned and stay prayerful.

Your brother,
Sid

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post! A lot of people do not realize that "flattery" is actually a con. It's an excessive compliment with intent to gain something. And I don't have a problem with the angle you're taking on this. Everyone assumes everything about church is good, but it's in our best interest to not walk blindly into anything. Regardless of reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q, you just blessed me, man. Appreciate ya. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Blogers,
    I will keep it short and sweet,I know the writer personally, we grew up in the same church in a small town in NJ , now we're all grown up and have gone differant paths. ( I mean differant paths) As it where, I ended up years later buying most of Sids books. The one that stood out for me was Bamboozled. The names where changed to protect I guess, but I could feel the writer like it was yesterday.

    I was on my way to NJ (one of many trips back home) and I brought along "Boozled", I was sitting in my seat on the plane and just as I got to a certain part in this book I began to weep, then the weeping was a full on cry, I was remembering where I was when the event happend like it was a surppressed memory I never delt with. This is all to say that Sid can conjure up things that where so deep and dear to his heart I felt it too. Now flash forword to today, we are grown and the lessons that where learned where well learned. I have been in many churches in the past over many years, and sometimes I felt like " Jesus", for the horrible misrepresentation allowed in some places. I see the route some of these " Christians" have let God's churches go. Knowing how Sid scrupulously delivers his message(s) , I could not emagine how he delt with the things he has seen and heard, If I "Gary" could pick them apart, I know God's Holy Spirit can dwell in us all to be able see clear his visions. Sid had this way in this book to capture my mind carefully describing to me how he was feeling that day, that hour, that minute, in a way that the lady next to me on the plane ask "are you ok", I didn't realized I was that obvious, but I guess I was. I simply said to the lady, "I was reading". That's what Sid was making me do, Read! When I finished the book I had a high respect for a Man I on once sang with, prayed with, played with, and now I can say felt with. Sid , Do what you do best scholar, capture and shock the ready into Gods house of real and honest worship! The way he wanted it to be, THE TRUTH! - Gary D. Jones

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate the support, Gary. Keep praying that Sandra and I continue to do His will.

    ReplyDelete